Sunday, October 13, 2013

Beauties and the Beasty

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," and that is especially true for some aspects of life here.  For us, fried ripe plantains are a thing of beauty, and L. has become very good at frying them :).










Birds can be pests, but the bright yellow weaver birds are not usually a nuisance.  K's friends brought this dazed little one for him to see - unfortunately, it must have been injured, as it didn't last the night.








You've already heard about snails - how certain types can be a source of food.  Though most N. Americans think snails are ugly, here there are quite a variety of snails, some of them with beautiful shells.  And to think that these little guys can slowly climb right to the top of a door!






Ok, now time for the real "beasty".  This large Beetle was brought to us by one of the "regulars" who often comes to play on our porch.




















Back on the positive side, I don't think anybody will argue about the beauty of a sunset... and there are some wonderful ones happening just outside our window :).

1 comment:

The Sidekick said...

I just found your blog! I'm so glad, because I've been praying for you all in a rather vague way, but now I will be able to do so with much greater intention.

I must say that, in a weird way, your snails and bugs, etc., give me a bit of a homesick pang!