Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Back to basics?

This morning I spoke to my ladies' group about Cameroon. Many of these have had a lot of exposure to people who have been overseas; but the general feel I got from the group is, "No way could I take my kids over there; it's just not safe". Too many pictures of spiders, bad roads....

It seems like the average North American wants things sugar-coated; yes, they believe that we need to tell others about the Good News of the Bible, but when it comes down to the nuts and bolts, are they really ready to do it themselves if it means inconveniences, hardship, and (horror of horrors) trusting God for everyday life? Maybe the non-essentials will be stripped away and the basics will come back into view again. But can the average North American live with that? Can they face themselves in the mirror without all the external trappings?

Not that I should judge; when things get tough, whether it's here or in Cameroon, I sure don't always have a good attitude and trust God for the outcome!

1 comment:

Jim said...

It kind of makes me wonder... when people say "I could never" what do they mean?

In other words, if they were called of God to go, would they? Do they mean, I could never unless God gave me grace? Do they mean I could never and that's one area of my life God can't have?

I was talking to a friend of mine, who sometimes jokes with his wife about being called to go to Mexico. He asked her what she would do if God called them to Mexico, and she said she'd complain and put up a big fuss and then go. :)

We all have times like that - will we put up a fuss, but then obey? Or put up a fuss and disobey? Or, hey, maybe even just obey. I'm not sure I acheive that last one nearly as often as I should!

It's not a bad exercise for us to think once in a while - what if God called us to do [that thing we really don't want to do]. How important is our love for God?